Tuning pin drilling? followup

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 30 18:30:28 MDT 2007

>If it's not too much trouble could you please explain step  drill.  I didn't
>see this one.  Are we talking about a single drill  bit with two diameters to
>it?
 > Dale

Yes, a single drill bit with a 1/2" long, 1/4" diameter starting diameter, stepping
up to an "I" bit (.272) for the finished dimension.

I was getting weird and results drilling a starting 1/4 hole throughout the Delignit
block and coming back with a .272 finish bit.

This allowed me to use a single plunge to accomplish both and initial and finish pass...
it works with my setup...cooled (vortex tube), guided (through a fixture holding a hardened
drill press bushing, timed with (I found a metronome really gave a consistent torque), and
clamped during the plunge(so the delignit is not bouncing around during the plunge)

Jim I