Tuning pin drilling? followup

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 30 18:59:34 MDT 2007

> Does the cooled step drill produce better uniformity than a cooled "final
>size" drill in one pass?

>Ron N

I'm out of Delignit scrap, and hesitant to muck up a full blank.

When some appears I'll check it out.

My bet is that the consistency results more from controlling deflection and
inconsistency of the drilling operation itself, rather than what type of drill bit is
used.

In previous experimenting with this set-up, I found that, in a single plunge operation,
eliminating any of the 4 stabilizing part of the set-up cost me my consistency.

My hunch is, as well, that I might be able to get away with a single .272 pass, no step, assuming
I use:  1-drill bit bushing stabilizer,2-vortex cooling,3- metronome timing, 4 clamped stock.

But... I'll be happy to play around some more when I have some scrap.

Jim I