They're out there, but let's try to bring them in the fold

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Apr 1 03:56:32 MST 2008

Dean - I have to respectfully disagree with you here. Your response implies
that the type of results shown in the photo are acceptable if the piano
technician is new to the trade. Whereas it often does take several attempts,
practice, studying, etc. to get to the point where a technician can produce
acceptable results for certain tasks, from day one, any ethical technician
should be able to distinguish between acceptable work results and
unacceptable results. Clearly John's photos show unacceptable results. If a
technician's skills are such that the work in the photo represents his/her
skill level, then the ethical tech would sub this work out to a competent
tech. The piano owner is smart enough to sub the work out (to someone who
claims to be competent), the tech should be at least that smart/ethical.

There have been numerous times when I have started a project and found that
a certain step was beyond my skill level. I will either redo the task until
I get it right, or if I feel I can't (or don't want to learn) do it
correctly, I have subbed the work out to another technician to get it done
right. Heck, I have even paid another technician to come into my shop and
work on a task with me because I was having trouble with it.

And speaking of hammers - that's why God made Wally Brooks!

I have found that nobody knows everything. I certainly don't. But if you can
observe what the typical new piano looks/plays/sounds like, then you should
be able to identify whether the results of your work are up to par. IMHO,
any person who claims to be a piano technician and produces work like that
shown in the photo should at least be able to identify that his/her results
are unacceptable. If not, then that person is a real _____________________
(insert any derogatory term here you wish).

Like Clint says: "A man has got to know his limits.....".

Terry Farrell