They're out there, but let's try to bring them in the fold

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Apr 1 04:53:13 MST 2008

Hey, if we agreed on everything one of us wouldn't be necessary. ;-)

Yes, I can be accommodating for this kind of work on a 100 year old Brambach
that no one wants to put any money into for a self-taught beginning tech who
has very limited resources. As ugly as it is, it was probably marginally
functional. I could even admire the guy for having the gonads to tackle the
job. I remember being very intimidated on my first hammer job.

Don't forget, Terry, that you have the benefit of working in a large urban
area with lots of resources that a guy working in the sticks with only a
Reblitz doesn't have. He does not have access to new pianos to see what they
look like. He does not have lots of skilled techs he can call on for help or
whose work he can observe. He does not have a local chapter, may not even
know how to get in touch with the guild, and is very intimidated by it and
its members. He desperately needs the guild's resources but will likely stay
away if he is called names.

I've shared it before. I worked as a tuner for almost 20 years before
joining the Guild, and even then it was very scary for me. I felt like I was
going to be judged and found deficient. If someone had called me a
derogatory name for work I had done in the early eighties I would have been
out of here.

We need to make the guild inviting for these techs, not hostile. So go ahead
and judge the work, but let's not impugn the guy's motives or character when
we don't know anything about him or his circumstances.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802