They're out there, but let's try to bring them in the fold

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Apr 1 16:56:37 MST 2008

At 14:37 -0400 1/4/08, Dean May wrote:

>...calling people names only builds the walls higher. I see no
>upside. Shaming people will not cause them to see the light. It will
>only make those on the fringes (many of them reading this list) to
>continue staying away from full engagement, because they donÕt have
>the confidence and they certainly donÕt want to be called names.
>
>Let's try to build bridges, not widen chasms.

Nonsense!  The man's an born incompetent botcher and will always be
one, and there are far too many of them around.  There are no bridges
to be built between the craftsman and such impostors.

At 07:55 -0400 1/4/08, AlliedPianoCraft wrote:

>Sorry Dean, I had jigs and guides from day one. Yes, I'm better now,
>but my first was most acceptable. The man doesn't even know basic
>woodworking.

Exactly!

At 06:56 -0400 1/4/08, Farrell wrote:

>...from day one, any ethical technician should be able to
>distinguish between acceptable work results and unacceptable results.

Yes.  If a tuner, whether registered or not, is not naturally
inclined to the very precise understanding and practice of piano
repair, he should leave well alone and stick to tuning.  And I'm
afraid, from long experience, that means the vast majority of them.

JD