Temperament questions

Jason Kanter jkanter at rollingball.com
Sat Apr 5 17:11:37 MST 2008

Julia-
For a good graphical view of the meantone temperaments and their differences
from well temperaments, please visit my website
http://www.rollingball.com/TemperamentsFrames.htm. There are also excellent
descriptions answering your questions by:
Pierre Lewis at http://pages.globetrotter.net/roule/temper.htm
Terry Blackburn at http://www.terryblackburn.us/music/temperament/index.html
Stephen Bicknell at http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/tmprment.html
Kyle Gann at http://www.kylegann.com/histune.html
Ed Foote at http://www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/

Meantone tuning favored the thirds; "more in tune" meant pure or nearly pure
thirds, instead of our thirds that are expanded by 13.7 cents each. Pure,
zero-beating thirds could be achieved in eight keys (generally
Eb-Bb-F-C-G-D-A-E). But -- for example take the CE major third. This is
created by a series of four fifths -- CGAE. If the fifths were perfect, the
resulting major third would be expanded by almost 22 cents. For the major
third to be perfect, those four fifths have to be contracted enough to take
up all 22 cents; so they are all contracted by 5.5 cents, a lot more than
our ET fifths which are contracted by 1.9 cents. The Aaron meantone
temperament has eleven of the twelve fifths contracted by 5.5 cents, and the
last fifth is expanded by almost 36 cents, a horrible sound called the
"wolf".
Most Meantone tunings resulted in eight pure or nearly pure M3s; the
remaining four M3s are expanded beyond tolerability (41 cents in the Aaron)
meaning that the keys of B, F#, C# and Ab were unusable.
The graphs on my website show these relationships much more clearly than
words or columns of numbers.
Tuning your old upright to a meantone is feasible but beware the extreme
offsets. If you try to keep it at A=440 then your Eb has to be tuned more
than 20 cents sharp, for example. You would be better setting A to 435 and
then using the offsets for the Aaron meantone, which you will find on my
website or at http://www.pianolit.com/tuning/
Cordially
Jason

--