Temperament questions (belated from 4/05/08)

Brad Lehman bpl at umich.edu
Fri Apr 18 16:49:53 MDT 2008

I have some articles and other resources at
http://www.larips.com
with hundreds of footnotes out to other reading material as well.

In the regular meantone temperaments of various sizes, the eleven 5ths
are all the same size as one another (i.e. "regular") but the leftover
diminished 6th doesn't close the circle; it's much too wide.  Eight of
the major triads turn out to be usable and four not.

Only very few of the major or minor scales are fully usable for tonal
music, since the neighboring notes to most of them (such as the
frequently used note D# in A minor, or the Ab in Bb major) aren't
present.  These regular temperaments therefore lead to some oddly
out-of-tune moments whenever things are misspelled...but if one sticks
with the correctly-spelled twelve notes, things are very consonant and
resonant.

One of my sub-pages about those regular temperaments:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/larips/meantone.html

"Well-temperament" as a term is grammatically abominable.  :)

Brad Lehman