1985 Louis XV Walnut Steinway

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Mon Apr 7 10:20:13 MDT 2008

In 1985 that piano retailed for around $23K. A satin B was $22.5K, I
think. The stores I worked in at that time in SoCal (Sherman Clay)
sold a lot of "Louie Ms," as we called them. Are the bass strings
like new---shiny? everything shiny? Non-Teflon parts, right? And the
action feels OK? If yes to all these, you can probably get $40K from
the right client. Tough sell; this piano's a little too blond for
most buyers, IMO.
best,
David A.
BTW: I've seen hundreds of Steinways autographed by John Steinway.
Maybe a thousand. Sherman Clay had him "autograph" every grand in
whatever store they would wheel him through every year, and I'm sure
this holy act was repeated---with alacrity---all over this great land
of ours at that time. Sorry to rain on the parade.....