sharp tuning

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 21:04:32 MDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 5:10 PM, Willem Blees <wimblees at aol.com> wrote:

>  I've run across Asian pianos that were 25 cents high right out of the
> box. They must have started higher than that when they left the factory, but
> I'm sure it wasn't a whole step higher.

Don Mannino gave a technical at our chapter not too many months ago.  I
remember his mentioning that Kawai pianos are tuned to A445 (or maybe it was
A446) before they are shipped out.  That would translate to about 25 cents
at A4.

Since that technical, I've resisted the urge to lower the new pianos to
A440.  And have found that they gradually get there if I just leave 'em
alone for the first year or so.

--
JF