stretching wire

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Apr 9 10:27:31 MDT 2008

Sure, why not. I have little doubt you are correct with the "piano wire does
not stretch" thing. I read your explanation regarding engineers, etc. I'm a
believer (now). All I was saying that over the life of the piano, one does
slowly add more wire around the pin. I think that I have done one pitch
lowering in ten years here in Florida, while I have done thousands of pitch
raises. Pitch raise makes more wire wind around the pin (unless, of course,
the pin is spinning backwards when I'm not looking). Wood crushing is likely
the culprit.

I'm just glad there are people out there smarter than I.

Terry Farrell