stretching wire

AlliedPianoCraft AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 9 11:26:58 MDT 2008

Terry Farrell writes;
All I was saying that over the life of the piano, one does
slowly add more wire around the pin. I think that I have done one pitch
lowering in ten years here in Florida, while I have done thousands of pitch
raises. Pitch raise makes more wire wind around the pin (unless, of course,
the pin is spinning backwards when I'm not looking).

That is also my thinking.

If the wire is not stretching somewhat, why is it we always need to pull the pitch up and rarely down? If changing temperature and humidity is the only cause for a piano to go out of tune, then we should be dropping pitch as much as raising it.  I'm not saying your information is incorrect, I just want to know why we just keep pulling it up. Just how much can everything compress?

Al Guecia