Clunker pianos - what do you do?

paulrevenkojones at aol.com paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Thu Apr 10 00:26:54 MDT 2008

 Michelle:

I dearly love these old pianos, and so wish that they were preservable in some way within financial reason and the tolerance both of technicians and the owners of the pianos. Much of the time they're not.

This is a perfect opportunity to involve less experienced technicians, associates, those who are just beginning, to take on some of these jobs in order to learn the craft. As well, in some instances, as we have here in Chicago, some of these pianos are marginally enough useful to pass on by donation to those who can't afford a piano. We started A Gift of PIanos about 9 years ago, and now the Chicago chapter of the PTG runs the program.

If the pianos to which you refer are indeed simply "dead", then you're faced with the dismal task of being the coroner and making the formal declaration. But many of them still have use.

Paul