Clunker pianos - what do you do?

Bruce George Browning justpianos at our.net.au
Wed Apr 9 23:25:18 MDT 2008

Hi Michelle,
Here is an opportunity to create a whole new set of repair options.
We've already been through the CA of pinblock discussion, and let's face
it, this has been a revolution in clunker repairs.
This forum is the ideal one to discuss other options for "hammers are
shot, strings beginning to break and parts failing left and right".
But the primary concern is that you familiarise yourself enough with all
your options that you don't find yourself doing work for no charge.
The cost option should always be left to the customer, as you are a
business, not a charity.
If the customer wants a "silk purse from a sows ear"
 from their piano then you have to put them straight. If they purchased it
against advice, or without advice, that's not your problem. You are
trying to help them, so here are the options:
Can't raise to A440, well they're stuck with that or replace the piano.
Hammers need reshaping, or replacing? What about pre-used hammers, not
quite as bad as theirs, but useable with a reshape.
etc.
etc.
Let's hear more from the list, but don't write off the piano, or the
opportunity for work. There's always referral to another less busy tuner.
Bruce Browning
The Piano Tuner.