Clunker pianos - what do you do?

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 9 22:17:18 MDT 2008

Hi Michelle,

Well, I used to give excuses like, "I'm too short"  or explain that old pianos were frustrating to work on because I'd fix one thing and the part next to it would break, etc.  But now I'm just plain blunt and say, "I'm sorry, I don't work on those," and offer no explanation.

It just depends on where you are in your business--are you ready and willing to turn down business?  Are there other reasons you find them frustrating? Or, would you be happier if there was a way you could sell folks more of what their pianos need?  Of course, if they could afford that, they could probably get a different piano.  (Now there's an angle for you!)

There are lots of ways we can "customize" our businesses--we don't have to do "it all."  I'm lucky in that I can afford to be relatively picky about what I work on and what hours I'll work (during the week, when my son is in school).  I <am> willing to start early--get the house before the piano owner leaves for work and then let myself out (my husband can get our boy off to school).   It's my choice if I decide to put in a long day on a project.

I was doing a concert gig for a while, which required Olympian efforts in child care.  When major politics got me away from that gig, at first I didn't realize how relieved I was.  I missed the excitement of the stage, but I didn't miss having to plan my life around the hall's schedule.

Good luck!

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, IL