Clunker pianos - what do you do?

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 10 08:34:57 MDT 2008

Do you explain that the bit by bit may well total $10K+?  Everyone's definition of "good playability" is different.

Depending on the condition of the piano, IMHO, it would be a great disservice to not discuss the total potential costs.

I always discuss with the piano owner the piano player's playing level, and what kind of performance they are ultimately looking for in a piano. With that, I can give them some sort of accurate projection on costs associated with "fixing" their piano vs. replacing the piano.

IMHO, many piano owners play poor performing pianos for years and years not realizing that a newer piano, or one properly "refurbished" or "rebuilt" may play and sound much nicer.

I think it is a disservice to not discuss these topics and have a promising pianist stumble along with an old worn-out poor-playing piano.

Not saying you do this Mike - just stating this in general to whomever it might apply.

Terry Farrell