Clunker pianos - what do you do?

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Thu Apr 10 08:43:57 MDT 2008

I tell the owner that on the first trip, I will make it 'operational'.
Then they should make a list of what bothers them, and I will give them an estimate of cost to make the repair.
I also inform them, of how much of  a difference the repair will make, toward their expectations.
Some times I will say, just to do necessary repairs, while they look for another piano.
Some owners can only afford the 'clunker's they have, so I feel I have to help them.
I have mainly a 'rural' clientele, and not the 'elite' of the playing public, as others on the list seem to have.
In a lot of cases these people have had a struggle to come up with the $200-$500 to buy a piano in the first place.  Therefore $100s to bring it up to the optimum is not an option.
Think minimum wage.
My whole Province/ State does not even have a million people.

John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca