Clunker pianos - what do you do?

Rob Mitchell tpa2sfr at pacbell.net
Thu Apr 10 10:18:51 MDT 2008

Michelle,

I find myself doing both extremes of the spectrum.  I have one gentleman
that had me do a purchase consultation for an old Waters upright he was
interested in.  Though mechanically sound, I gave him a list of things the
piano would probably need.  He ended up getting the piano for free and I got
quite a bit of work through new keytops, key bushings, bass string cleaning,
hammer filing and damper alignment.

At the other extreme (just yesterday) I had to tell a new customer that his
100 yo Decker and Bros. was untunable and, in my opinion, wasn't even worth
fixing.  He already had a pretty good idea that the piano was going to be a
problem and I think he appreciated that I was straightforward with him.
None the less, it is hard telling a customer that I'm not going to be able
to help them.

Rob

Mitchell Piano Service

www.mitchellpianoservice.com