Clunker pianos - what do you do?

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 10 08:59:47 MDT 2008

Michelle-

If this is your market, you might as well become an expert in all aspects of it.

This is the opposite of consumerism and instant gratification. You're preserving history and keeping family heirlooms intact. In this world, that's amazing work.

Some of those old uprights were very well designed and built(New Haven Mathusheks, for instance).
Some have positive quirks that make them easy to repair (Old Kimballs with butt plates make repinning faster).
New repair techniques have appeared that make the impossible affordable. (Bill Bremmer's bass string restoration technique in the Jan 08 Journal, steam to refresh old dampers, new techniques to improve soundboard performance).
New finish restoration products are available.
I'll bet within 5 years we'll see generic, adjustable composite action replacement parts, maybe even offering repetition springs for vertical actions.

Take photos to document your work, and you can write articles about your discoveries.

Ed Sutton