stretching wire

Mike Imbler mike-imbler at cox.net
Thu Apr 10 18:10:29 MDT 2008

"At 03:24 -0400 10/4/08, Dean May wrote:

>...I haven?t yet been able to substantiate Mike?s claim that with
>modern piano wire the yield strength is closer to the ultimate. I
>have found sources that place it at 43-35%..."
Yes, I also found the 43 % number for ASTM 228 which is the spec for modern music wire.  I was quite surprised actually, because my 30 year old textbook suggested yield was 75 percent of ultimate!  None the less, steel doesn't get tired, so it would either yield immediately, or......there is something that further stresses it later.  I'm keeping an open mind as the discussion continues, but for now my vote is still that it is not stretching!
              Mike