Professional practices, was "pay you later"

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Fri Apr 11 11:24:40 MDT 2008

My friends----

Would you like to be treated like a doctor, or a lawyer, or a skilled
artisan?

Or would you like to be treated like a day worker, or a cable
installer, or a shade-tree mechanic?

In the first group, the work, and the atmosphere surrounding the
work, is the focus; actual money exchange happens later.

In the second group, the focus is on getting the check.

If you want to make more money and have more respect, act like a
business with cash flow. If somebody wants to give you a check, OK.
I hardly ever handle money now, and most of my clients (still) are
private entities. I send an email invoice within 24 hours of the
work; I haven't been stiffed once since I started this protocol 6
years ago. Well, once, by a white-collar criminal in Malibu...300 bucks.

A hard and fast rule: those who seem like they couldn't care less
about getting paid make a lot more money and are trusted quicker and
deeper. People just like it better way back in the deep, old part of
their brains. Don't fight the wiring.

David Andersen
(flame suit on)