radical vertical piano soft pedal regulation

Scott Jackson scottwaynejackson at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 11 23:40:37 MDT 2008

Tom,
I just discovered that someone in Australia has sympathy with your idea. Two
articles published by Ronald Sharp in the new journal of the Australasian
Piano Tuners and Technicians Association discuss exactly this sort of
regulation. The pdf of Bridges August 2008 can be found at:

A couple of quotes follow.
>From "The Domestic Piano":

"All other things being equal, the greater the distance traveled by the
hammer, the greater the speed possible and therefore the greater the energy.
It is the distance the hammer is set to move that sets the loudness that the
piano can achieve. The soft pedal on upright pianos reduces hammer travel,
limiting available energy.

This distance also sets the speed at which one can play softly, or the
softness at which one can play at speed and the degree of dynamic expression
possible, especially soft expression. Test this on an upright piano. So why
are modern pianos, concert hall and domestic, made and regulated with the
same hammer travel?

When this writer regulates many domestic pianos, both grand and upright with
a reduced hammer travel and associated adjustments, a transformation in ease
of expression, soft playing and nice tone becomes apparent. Most pianos seem
to play loudly naturally and require much study to play softly with
expression and speed, if this is even possible at all on some of them."

And from "The Tragedy of the Modern Domestic Piano":

"With all other things being equal, including hammer mass and touch speed,
the perceived loudness of a piano note is approximately proportional to the
distance the hammer travels from rest to striking the strings. This is
easily shown on an upright piano using the soft pedal that alters hammer
travel, the true Soft Pedal.

Given the very great difference between the needs of the concert hall and
those of the normal home living room, it is curious that most pianos are
designed and regulated to have a similar hammer travel."

I can attach the complete text of the two articles if anyone is interested;
they are quite short.

Scott Jackson