stretching wire -- an anecdotal analysis

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Apr 14 02:40:31 MDT 2008

Hi Dean

Thanks for the nice long thoughtful post.

One thought tho... strikes me off hand that <<elastic yielding>>  must
be per definition something that is not static... hence reliant on
whatever tension is placed on the wire. So if other processes in a
pianos daily daily causes the pitch to go up... then the string will per
definition have to yeild more. And it the opposite happens then the
string will have to relax.  I dont think I'm reading any basic
disagreement on that really from any post.

As to whether or not <<elastic yeilding>> can continue over time, or
whether or not given a load and long enough time the string will
experience creep or some degree of plastic yeilding... I'm not sure I
see why other materials should do this and piano wire be an exception.
J.D. posted stuff that seemed to show this doesnt happen... but I dont
see the mechanism anywhere.... and on the surface of it this seems
counter intuitive.

Cheers
RicB