shop work

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Mon Apr 14 07:47:20 MDT 2008

Hey Rick,

Sounds like you don't.  ;-]

If you are working 6 full days with large accounts, you might as well forget any real shop work, IMO.  I currently schedule about 2 full days per week in the shop, the other three are out servicing private clients.  In my case I made a decision not to ever work too hard.  M-F is plenty for me (I'd like to drop down to 4 days, but at this point, I don't see that).

Are you hoping to be more regular in your shop, or is it just a curiosity?  If you're wanting to move into the shop, I'd say you need to drop an account, or hire another tech to take over some of your tuning load so you can get in the shop.  Then, you can schedule your days as you wish, maybe starting with a day in the shop and then grow it as you like.

In my world, I tend to leave the shop days a little flexible.  That is, I may take Monday and Tuesday this week and then use Tuesday and Friday next week, depending upon my service calls.  It makes life a little more complicated than just having a rigid Monday/Tuesday shop schedule, but it gives me a little more flexibility with my service calls.

Hope that helps,
William R. Monroe

  Folks,

  I currently service about 20+ residential and institutional accounts per week, all year long.
  First appointment @ 10am ,last @ 4 roughly. (9+ hours a day, with travel)

  How do you all factor shop work into your scheduales? Right now ,I work in some time on Sun> (my day off !)
  Thanks,
  Rick Ucci/ Ucci Piano