Drumming up business

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Mon Apr 14 13:52:58 MDT 2008

This is an interesting discussion about calling and post cards.

When I first started, I was told to call. So I did, but I got the same as one of you mentioned, "I have to ask my daughter, husband, teacher, the dog, etc."
Then someone suggested I send a post card saying I will call. That brought good results, because they were able to ask the daughter, teacher, the dog.
Then I went to a seminar, and it was suggested I send out post card asking to be called. So I did an experiment. Over a 6 months period, one month I sent out a post card saying I would call, and the next month to please call me. After doing this for 6 months, I looked at my tuning income, and could not see any significant difference. So I stopped spending 10 hours a month making phone calls. That was 25 years ago.

But things have changed. As I said, here in Hawaii customers like the personal touch, and don't respond well to post cards or letters. That is why I am doing both, sending out post cards and following up with phone calls. I do pre-schedule appointments 6 months or a year, and I send them a reminder post card. The next step is the courtesy call. I'm working on that.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
Author of