Dating Square Grands and 8' Old Uprights

mccleskey112 at bellsouth.net mccleskey112 at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 16 11:59:14 MDT 2008

Ginny: Ask Jack Wyatt. He'll know.
Gerald McCleskey
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ginny Bear
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 11:36 AM
  Subject: Dating Square Grands and 8' Old Uprights

  A piano technician friend who is not on this list asked me to put his question to you all.  He is writing a newsletter.   I had suggested Google, the library, and Wikipedia, but he said the answers were not there.   Does anyone have any suggestions beyond those?

  "When were square grands made? Dates I've seen have ranged from 1830 to 1900. I wanted to know about the big solid wood ones with three foot pedals, which I think was 1845 to 1890 but not sure."

  "The other one was for the first upright pianos that were very tall, about 8 feet. The strings were from the keyboard height up and had wooden foot pedals. I saw the information somewhere but cannot find it now. The date that comes to mind is 1820, but again not sure."

  Thanks,

  Ginny Bear