Bechstein rebuild

Andrew Remillard anrpiano at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 09:19:20 MDT 2008

To any all experienced Bechstein folks:

The patient is mine and is a spec rebuild so that is why I am only now
discovering some interesting features of this creature.

It is a 6' 6" grand and dates from around 1898. A few years ago I rebuilt an
8' Becky from about 1929. In this model I found rocker capstans which
attached directly to the wippen. (Picture how replacement plastic elbows
work.)

Much to my surprise when we opened up this older model we found regular
capstans.  Since my experience with older Bechstiens is limited, I just
figured they used different configurations for different pianos.  Then when
we started taking the action apart, what do we find but plugged holes and
divots as one would find with rocker capstans! Then I take a closer look at
the stack and am immediately impressed with how WN&G everything looks. No
labels but I do find numbers cast into the sides of the brackets just like
we usually find on WN&G brackets. The hammers flanges also look very
un-European. That is no pin in the back of the flange.  However, with these
observations aside, if I looked just at the apparent age of the parts I
wouldn't think anything was amiss.

So...anybody see something like this before? Did Bechstein use a variety of
action set ups thought the years? Even going retro as late as the 1920's?

Thanks.

--
Andrew Remillard
ANRPiano.com