stretching wire -- an anecdotal analysis

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Apr 19 03:09:44 MDT 2008

Well... er.. ja.. its comming from somewhere.  That said why is it on
old pianos... say 60-70 years old... one finds often enough them holding
pitch over several years far better then newer so called settled in
instruments ?

Clearly there is much that is not understood... and it doesnt really
seem like anyone is going to be able to find enough time and resources
to figure it out... cause in the end we dont really need to know the
answer to such questions.  We need only go and retune instruments and
stuff the customers money in our pockets for a job well done :)

Cheers
RicB

    Even so, that pitch drop  has to come from SOMEWHERE. I have heard
    the same statement that wire "creeping" stretch is physically
    impossible, and it seems unlikely that the physicists are massive
    wrong on this..

    Kurt Baxter