Sucessful string splicing, angry client.

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 19 15:18:37 MDT 2008

Any repair that I consider my self an expert at I charge for, if I'm
learning or experimenting and it fails, I might eat it.
                 Doesn't a failed splice display lack of expertise, or
experimentation gone awry?  Fail and expert don't seem in the same realm
with each other......

I had a string break on a Schimmel last week, the guy saying it was "tuned a
year ago"........  I'd put my career on the line, claiming it hadn't been
tuned in at least four.  Top was 35 cents out, lower stuff about 15.  After
he invoked a number of deities he wanted nothing more than to be rid of
me....... and I of him.    I even did a really nice splice.  So, I bit the
bullet on pitch raise, didn't charge for the splice, gave him the name of
two other tuners, and then as I was heading away I called them both and
warned them of this 'creature' who might be calling.  Wouldn't you know it,
I immediately went to a Yamaha GH1 which hadn't been tuned in at least 10
years..........  65 cents off in the top- beginning at about C5, rather than
at the bottom..........   Yeow. Bad day in the neighborhood......
les bartlett