stretching wire -- an anecdotal analysis

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Apr 20 02:15:06 MDT 2008

At 21:20 -0500 19/4/08, kurt baxter wrote:

>If you take patented steel wire beyond its elastic
>   limit, it will neck and break, perhaps right now, perhaps tomorrow
>   but very soon.
>
>The point when when you go from "elastic" to "plastic" is when the wire
>permanently changes shape, never to return, right?

Yes, and with patented wire this point is very close to the breaking point

>So I would say that when a string bends around the tuning pin, and
>for sure when it dives into the becket, it changes it's shape for good.
>
>If you slightly "kink" a wire, you have taken it to it's plastic
>point... right?

Yes and no.  When you make the becket on the wire the part near the
outside corner is weakened but the core and inside corner are, if
anything strengthened by compression.

>So if a "kink" type load can take the string beyond it's elastic
>point without breaking, why not "stretching" type load?

Also when the wire is initially coiled or when I straighten it for
stringing or making bass strings it takes a permanent set.  Exactly
what stresses are involved I can't say, but experience suggests they
are not detrimental.

When I (or others) make bass strings I flatten the wire with a hammer
and die to hold the copper at the ends.  If a string is stretched to
breaking point it will never break at the flattening but either at
the eye or at the becket or some point of friction UNLESS there is a
sharp angle at the ends of the flattened portion.  When I had my
first flatteners made 25 years ago, which I still use today, we got a
chamfered end on the flattening that created too sudden a change from
the flattening to the cylindrical wire and this caused a severe
weakening.  Once we had ground off and radiused the top corner to the
die, there was no problem.

These things do cause work-hardening and it's quite likely that the
flattening process actually increases the tensile strength of the
wire, but when we simply stretch the wire I think there is no
work-hardening

>Isn't there a big difference between "elastic limit" and ultimate limit?

As I've mentioned before, some people use the manufacturer's UTS as
the datum and take care not to strain the wire beyond 55% of this and
others, like me and Paulello use another figure and and take care not
to strain the wire beyond 70% of this.  This allows a safety margin
needed to take into account friction points, weakening through work
(say at the eye) etc.  From what I have read, the elastic limit of
patented wire is almost coterminous with the breaking strain and
there is no separate "yield point" below the breaking strain as there
is with some other materials.  In other words once plastic
deformation begins the string is going to break, whereas with some
other materials the wire would stretch (irreversibly) without
breaking over a range of tensions between the yield point and the
breaking strain.  We are not concerned with such materials.

The figures I use are as below, with the tension in pounds.  70% of
this figure is what I do not exceed in designing bass strings -- so
283 lbs would be the maximum tension I'd have for a covered string
with a No. 21 core.

12       0.725     174
12.5     0.750     185
13       0.775     196
13.5     0.800     207
14       0.825     218
14.5     0.850     229
15       0.875     240
15.5     0.900     251
16       0.925     264
16.5     0.950     276
17       0.975     288
17.5     1.000     300
18       1.025     314
18.5     1.050     326
19       1.075     339
19.5     1.100     339
20       1.125     371
20.5     1.150     387
21       1.175     405
21.5     1.200     421
22       1.225     439
22.5     1.250     455
23       1.300     479
23.5     1.350     504
24       1.400     532
24.5     1.450     570
25       1.500     609
25.5     1.550     660
26       1.600     726

JD
--
   Delacour Pianos  *  Silo  *  Deverel Farm  *  Milborne St. Andrew
                      Dorset DT11 0HX  *  England