Failed string splicing -- charge for time?

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Sun Apr 20 13:12:46 MDT 2008

The failed repair at the car shop is not equivalent to a failed splice. A
splice is a repair which is less expensive, in trade for a certain percentage
risk of failure. What if the car shop had said, "You have a stuck valve.
Replacing it will fix the problem for sure, but will be expensive. If you like,  we
can try running a liquid cleaner through the engine, which might or  might
not fix the problem, but will be much cheaper and usually works. If  it is
successful, it will be acceptably so. Your call." Then I think it would be
equivalent.

Our experience with a fairly low failure rate on splices leads us to feel
ethical in offering this choice to the client, but the client must take the
risk. On the other hand, if I did replace the string and it broke, I would
expect to eat the cost as part of the overhead of running a business,  unless I
could demonstrate that the scale was faulty, in which case the  client would
still be responsible.

Bob Davis

In a message dated 4/20/2008 11:47:48 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,