stretching wire

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Apr 22 07:05:15 MDT 2008

> I look forward to hearing Ron Nossaman's reaction to this. Unless he has
> a compelling rebuttal,
> I think my mind is starting to settle.

I don't have a rebuttal, because I'm not arguing a point. This
isn't a debate or pissing contest. It's an attempt at
education. The abstract doesn't give any real information. We
have learned from another source the information that wire
permanently deforms immediately on stretching, and continually
less with the passage of time at tension. How much less, and
for how long? After a month at tension, what's the creep rate?
After a year? After 20 years? At what point is the rate of
creep inconsequential? The original question is still whether
piano wire installed in a piano continues to stretch forever.

Ron N