Hard Hammers

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Wed Apr 23 06:38:11 MDT 2008

>...then perhaps its your general needling approach that needs adjusting.

Sometimes needles won't work at all.  Last week I was servicing a Wurlitzer
grand with petrified hammers. A needle would not penetrate and squeezing
with parallel pliers felt more like a piece of wood than felt.

I used a damp cloth and an iron on the shoulders and a little on the crown.
This relaxed the hammer enough to be able to squeeze the shoulders with
parallel pliers.  It was still plenty loud but the piercing edge was now gone.

I'm considering voicing with a fine drill bit and a Dremel tool on slow speed
so as not to scorch the fibers. Maybe this will create small gaps for
the fibers
to expand into and ease the density. It certainly couldn't hurt these HSO's.
--

Regards,

Jon Page

HSO: Hammer Shaped Object