Hard Hammers

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Apr 23 09:03:01 MDT 2008

? Hi John
? Petrified felt,? yes indeed?a,?Paul Bailey coined phrase.
?? I've tried the Dremel?many times & find it rather useless, but hey they can't be worse. I simply marvel at the lack of interest many piano makers have in tone as is evidenced by what they call piano hammers. Those who purchased the inexpensive pso simply need the paradigm shift that they got a bargain that they now need to invest in to make it a legitimate instrument. Like getting a great car cheap that needs a tune up & further performance enhancement. Ok....adequate car
? All our heroic voicing efforts in these cases as I see it.... are not our problem.
?I of course, suggest a hammer transplant as usual.
? A for effort John
? Dale

>...then perhaps its your general needling approach that needs adjusting.

Sometimes needles won't work at all.? Last week I was servicing a Wurlitzer

grand with petrified hammers. A needle would not penetrate and squeezing

with parallel pliers felt more like a piece of wood than felt.

I used a damp cloth and an iron on the shoulders and a little on the crown.

This relaxed the hammer enough to be able to squeeze the shoulders with

parallel pliers.? It was still plenty loud but the piercing edge was now gone.

I'm considering voicing with a fine drill bit and a Dremel tool on slow speed

so as not to scorch the fibers. Maybe this will create small gaps for the fibers

to expand into and ease the density. It certainly couldn't hurt these HSO's.

--

Regards,

Jon Page

HSO: Hammer Shaped Object