Web Hosting

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 24 08:06:09 MDT 2008

Hi, Matthew:
    You'll get a lot of responses here.  We had a discussion regarding websites a few months ago.  You can check the archives.
    Well, here's my story.  I have an online scheduling service on advice from Brad Smith (Smithpiano.com).  It's called AppointmentQuest.  It is customizable for all kinds of forms, special schedules, blocked dates, special offers with codes (like discounts for example).  I like this arrangement because the customer can input all of the relevant information, book the appointment themselves whenever they want, reschedule, cancel, etc., without me spending time on the phone, playing phone tag, etc.  I don't have to enter the information myself (with all the mistakes, etc.), and it sends a confirmation of the appointment to both the customer and myself, and a reminder to them the day before.  I can block off days I want to leave for shop work, vacation, etc.  I can block times I need for doctor's appointments, etc.  And you can have a different calendar set up for each different area you service.  That allows you to block certain days on one calendar so you can service another area of town with your other calendar.  I set up my website with an Appointments button so that the customer can click on their zip code.  That brings up the AppointmentQuest website (my business name appears at the top).  The appropriate calendar appears for their zip code.  In San Diego, the North County is served by one main freeway which is always clogged from 4:00pm, so I blocked off the evening/late afternoon appointments in North County because I don't want that commute.  There are various levels of service and cost for this.  My monthly cost is about $22 a month for AppointmentQuest services.
    I set up my website myself (ok, it's not the best, but it works).  I used BlueVoda (see the link at the bottom of my signature) and VodaHost.  The Blue Voda site has site building software for free, and all you have to do is drag and drop, point and click, etc.  You will learn how to set up a website with their short video clips which show you how.  Also, they have a very responsive support bulletin board to answer any questions if you need help.  I've heard that there are other free site building softwares out there (someone said Google has one).  Hosting is free from some sites, but VodaHost did cost me a little.
    The real test of your website is how it is listed on search engines, and that's a whole other story.  When I first mentioned about my website, I got replies from webmasters on this list recommending to use a professional web developer to put up a website.  Good advice, but expensive.  The better websites are more likely to show up when someone does a search for a piano tuner.
    If you ask me, go for it and try it yourself.  You can do it.  Make your own site.  If you use Blue Voda and VodaHost, mention where you heard about it (I'll get a little spiff).  Never mind that, but it does a good job anyway.  If you're familiar with graphics programs, you can use it easily, and you don't need to write code at all.  If anything, you'll have an appreciation for those who build websites with code from scratch.
    I will say one thing about websites in general.  I've visited a lot of sites that give TONS of information about this and that, how piano actions work, how to tune your own piano (why do that anyway?), etc.  Just remember, you want the visitor to MAKE CONTACT WITH YOU AND DO BUSINESS WITH YOU.  Unless you just want to educate people for free.  I also don't like those fancy animations which interfere with my purpose of visiting- getting something I want from the site.  If some huge corporation wants to impress somebody with the animated graphics, let them do it.  It costs a lot to do that, and they have the bucks to do it.  My opinion is, keep it simple and to the point.
    Good luck with it.

    Paul McCloud
    San Diego

See my site below.