Clever Key Cleaning Customer

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Thu Apr 24 09:07:20 MDT 2008

I'm impishly keeping you wating for details of the product folks!  When I
get home I will post it on here.

Frank, warning well-taken.

My reasoning on this particular instrument was that the keys looked
hideous as they are, and if the cleaning/"chemical peel" gave them a lease
of life until the "eventually" time, then that's a gain.  The piano isn't
in great condition overall and the pins not very tight, and if the
daughter progresses well with her lessons, they are going to upgrade.

I'm certainly not recommending wholesale application of nail polish
remover to the key tops of fine pianos!  Just reporting an interesting
anecdote.

Best regards,

David.

"Please be careful.  I have seen keytops with thousands of tiny hair-line
cracks.  I do not recall the exact composition of the keytop material, or
the chemical applied to it.  If you do not know what you are doing, what
may appear to be a great cleaning solution may turn out to cause reduced
elasticity of the plastic, and eventually thousands of tiny cracks as the
wood expand and contract, while the plastic does not..

Frank Emerson"