Calling Potential Clients

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 20:13:17 MDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I recently tuned for a client, who, after the tuning, gave me a two page
> list of all the music/voice teachers in my area.  Since I just relocated to
> the area she was was being nice and helping me out.  It has addresses and
> phone numbers.  Some have e-mails, but not all.  Would it be polite or
> professional procedure to call these people introducing myself so they know
> I exist?  Have any of you been faced with a similar circumstance?  It sounds
> like a good starting point, but on the other hand, I don't want to hurt
> myself before I even get going.  I tend to think of the telemarketers who
> call me.  What have you all been faced with in the past?
>
> There's 17 people on the list, and I may make some business, but I want
> advice first, before I jump into it.

If I received a list like yours, I would be on the phone either that day or
the next. :-)

But, I would not get on the phone without having a script in front of me,
having familiarized myself with it, so I wouldn't sound like a fool.

The script should be short and sweet. Since it is a cold call, I would
definitely mention the person who had given you their name. Do that first,
then ask if you can send them some information about your services. This
way, it is not like you are asking for their business upfront; rather, all
you are asking to do is to send some information.

If you do it that way, you will probably end up getting some work, either
right then on the phone, or after you send them your info.

If you are kind, considerate, and short, I bet things will go rather well.

--
JF