Story and Clark Grand (Water Damage)

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 18:03:50 MDT 2008

Okay guys,

  I returned from my inspection at the school with the water damaged piano.

  The piano is a 1969 Story and Clark Grand.  It is sad, but it could be worse.  The soundboard and pinblock looked fine beside the anticipated water stain on the board.

  It will need a complete restringing.  All the tuning pins are rusted.  All hammers will need replacing as well as all felts and dampers, obviously.

  This is a Story and Clark Grand with a Yamaha action.  Can someone explain the history and connection here?

  Since this is at a public school, I am sure they will agree to the partial rebuild at the drop of a hat (yeah, right!).  Have any of you had any luck with a school agreeing to this kind of work?  If they don't, I wonder if I can buy it from them and do it myself?  Good experience, huh?

  Matthew