not too much badmouthing please

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Fri Apr 25 23:11:04 MDT 2008

Ahh, our fear of anticipated horrors. I recently got a call from a young
couple who had recently picked up a Premier b-Grand, c 1920, for free from
"someone that wanted to get rid of it." My first instinct was to run. But, I
dunno, it was a slow week or something. I took the gig. When I showed up the
husband had just finished stripping and refinishing the entire piano. Very
professionally actually, and while it was in the living room of their
apartment. OK, it was covered with brush strokes, but the job was shiny and
black and otherwise quite well done. And he was careful not to paint over
things like tuning pins and strings, and the seal he unknowingly painted
across the keyslip and cheek blocks was very easy to slice through and I was
still able to pull the action out without destroying his work. On the
fallboard he had very elegantly painted his wife's name in red script as the
NEW name of the piano. How could I NOT put some effort into this piano. Long
story short, after an afternoon of cleaning out the years of accumulated
filth, replacing several broken strings, lots of screw and action work, and
even with the top octave and a half hammers worn down to the wood, they were
ecstatic at the results. And she is a very accomplished player. Yes, they
know it's junk. Yes, they know it's only temporary until they can afford a
real one. But until then it's the best piano in the world to this young
newlywed couple. They didn't blink at my bill and I was more than happy to
take their check, without discount. I left with an immense feeling of
satisfaction for a job well done.

Nevertheless, every time I get a call to work on a free, eBay or Craigslist
acquired piano I fear what I'm going to find. Mostly it's crap and I'm
quickly and happily out of there with a minimum service call fee. But
sometimes, like above, it's a very rewarding experience. I love this job.

. Geoff Sykes, RPT
. 626-799-7545
. www.ivories52.com <http://www.ivories52.com/>