Hard Hammers

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Apr 27 05:15:29 MDT 2008

Hi David...

It was a bit hard to sort out your post on my mail reader (Mozilla), but
I think I got the jist of most of it.  Let me just say a couple things
here.  First I like Roger a lot and understand perfectly where he is
coming from with his steaming procedure and this newer idea of the
single mammoth needle. That said I do not really agree with this
philosophy having tried both quite thoroughly. If you are dealing with a
hammer that responds very poorly to anything else, well of course its
most time effective to resort to such procedures. But if you are dealing
with a high quality piano and need as good a result as possible then I
would suggest also using very high quality hammers.

I find that very stable results can indeed be achieved using a hammer
that does not require much lacquer aside from the extremes of the scale.
Once a good cushion is built it takes a very long time to compact this
out.  Typically one sees this when shoulder that were shaped to a nice
egg form become bulged outwards and the crown is not only worn and
grooved but the rounded form just underneath the worn area of the crown
is quite visibly flattened.  The form of the hammer takes on more of a
round ball look to it then the egg shape that one first imparted to it.
By the time this has developed the shoulders ability to support the
elastic spring characteristic of the hammer is banged out and there is
not much you can do about it. The best one can hope for at that point is
a significantly reduced dynamic range.

One needs to discern between what one wants to accomplish and what the
user group is in these discussions. I tried to qualify my comments by
saying in so many words they relate to high quality instruments that one
wants in best possible condition.  My thinking is that one is best
served by changing hammers in these situations.  Worn parts can to a
point nearly always be made to function satisfactorily.  But thats not
the same as functioning optimally.

That said... different voicing techniques also yield different response
results... and if one is after a particular sound that results from some
particular voicing method.. well by all means go for it.

I'd like to add that if one wants to pay the price in terms of  time
needling overly hard hammers these too can slowly over the course of a
few weeks careful and considered treatment also be made to function
wonderfully.  They seem to need to relax for some days inbetween
needling sessions.  If you try and create a wonderful cushion and good
elasticity with such a hammer in one session... you'll just rip the
shoulders into shreds and they will essentially have no support ability
left. Of course the down side to this is the time it takes to
accomplish.  But for the sake of interest... try this on one of those
concrete sets that typically come stock on some asian instruments some
time.  Work steadily up the shoulders until your voicing tool with three
needles set at 7-8 mm goes comfortably into the felt as deep as they
can.  Not over easily.. just so that its not tough to get them in. Never
use more then 30 or so stabs on each shoulder during any given session.
Wait a couple days, preferably let it be played.... and do another
session moving upwards towards the crown.  By the time you get up to the
11-1 o'clock area you will start hearing that familiar elastic quality
to the sound  and can start crown treatment with very shallow work to
finish.  Tho this is not something I recommend as a general rule..
(simply because of the time concerns)... it is quite instructional and
worth a couple efforts on an appropriately handy instrument.

One last note on stability...  Treating hammers this way allows always
for a touch up voicing using shallow crown work that can be accomplished
in very short time. That is unless the instrument as seen very much wear
and the surface area of the hammer needs shaping along with all the
string mating etc. I typically spend now less then 30 minutes voice
prepping for critical usage with well maintained instruments that are
used sparingly

Cheers
RicB