Hardening Bridge Caps

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 27 06:13:59 MDT 2008

David,

You may want to use super-thin CA  for just these
reasons, but still put a  drop of epoxy on each pin
before inserting. ( CA dries too hard and isn't sticky
enough when cured--fractures. )
Thumpe

P.S. Epotek 301 is a  UV resistant, low viscosity
epoxy I've  used for bridge tops with small
fractures,and mixed with West's high density filler
for gaps.

http://members.optuszoo.com.au/ronovers/oversno7.2.jpg

> Ron O.
>
> >When cutting a new bridge cap I typically paint on
> a low viscosity epoxy to
> >both harden and seal the cap.  I do this after
> drilling and notching but
> >before pinning, sanding back the bridge top flat
> again before inserting the
> >bridge pins.
> >
> >I'm considering doing this same process with a thin
> CA glue which seems like
> >it will offer some advantages: cures faster, wicks
> into the wood better,
> >requires less sanding afterward.
> >
> >Any thoughts on the differences in terms of
> providing a seal and adding
> >density to the wood between the two substances?
> >
> >David Love
> >davidlovepianos at comcast.net
> >www.davidlovepianos.com
>

> --