Hardening Bridge Caps

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Sat Apr 26 15:45:22 MDT 2008

David, Dale, Dell and all,

I also agree with the practice of coating the top of the bridge. One
of the reasons why multi-laminated bridge caps are so effective is
that the laminates are permeated with glue during the gluing process.
Any minor checks in the laminates, which can occur if they are dried
too fast at any time from tree to product, are simply glued up to
eliminate the risk of splitting. But the top surface of the top
laminate will not be permeated fully with glue unless it is also
deliberately coated on the top surface.

After finding that the top laminate can occasionally develop small
checks after the bridge is pinned unless the top layer of the top
laminated is also coated with glue, we have been manufacturing our
laminated bridge caps by applying a layer of glue over the top
laminate also. The plastic sheet which is placed underneath and over
the top of the entire cap before the vacuum press diaphragm is placed
in position prevents glue from getting all over the diaphragm. When
the cap comes off the press both the top and bottom surfaces are
sanded prior to fitting to a bridge. Caps laminated in this fashion
are essentially a matrix of West system and maple.

In your case David, it might be worth considering making your own
multi-laminated caps. It would save you the detailed clean up of the
pin holes before pinning. We don't make our own laminates these days,
since quarter cut 0.5 mm thick Rock Maple veneer can be purchased
locally. We use seven layers for each cap to make up 3.5 mm, just
enough thickness to accommodate the notching depth. The thinner
veneer layers also allow for a more complete permeation of glue,
which I prefer.

Below is an image-link showing the treble end of the bridge from our
most recent piano, no. 7. The notching extends down into the seventh
laminate.
http://members.optuszoo.com.au/ronovers/oversno7.2.jpg

Ron O.

--