Remove old finishes fast!

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Tue Apr 29 20:59:16 MDT 2008

Knew the subject line would lure you in ...

Here's how Jesse French and I celebrated Earth Day: removing the old finish, reducing the piano's weight by half, tweaking certain noses, and putting badly needed carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

The most fun moment was pushing it over: Wham!

Interesting observations: Many of the plain wire strings snapped right at the speaking-side bridge pin as they got hot -- all that broke, broke at that same place (more tension in speaking segment?). Somewhere late in the game, as the pinblock area was burning (took a loooong time), the plate broke. I was not too far away and it was scary loud: Bang! I am reminded of the customer who's Kawai grand burned completely in a house fire; he asked me did I want to salvage any of the parts, perhaps the strings? Uh, no thanks. I did salvage some action pieces (stickers and whippens) and all the hardware, especially screws, I could reasonably get to. They don't now make hardware with a tenth of the quality of this 90-year-old stuff.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

P.S. If anyone is bothered by my sooty footprints, email me privately and I'll tell you a little secret.