PDA-Based ETDs

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Apr 30 16:08:47 MDT 2008

Thanks folks for all the response to my question on PDA battery life.

I did a pitch raise yesterday and used up half my battery (I did it real slow because it was the first time I used my PDA-Verituner software). I plugged it in for the tuning and it charged up to 100%. Then I did a pitch raise and a tuning on a second piano and used up 45% of my battery. So maybe things are not as bleak as I thought - although, that is still much more consumption than I am used to. If a second PR + tuning used up another 45% on that charge, I don't think that would be good to run the battery down so low like that.

And it's against my principles to plug in a battery-powered device! (Hey, and there may not always be a plug around - or if it is, you know exactly where it will be - right in the middle in the back of grandma's old upright.....)

The stator on my motorcycle doesn't put out much juice, plus where am I going to put my PDA on my motorbike while I'm riding and it's charging? IMHO, charging while riding is not an option.

I just ordered 10 NiMH batteries to make up a 26.4 watt-hour (12V, 2.2 Ah) external battery pack for my PDA. The battery in the unit is only 4.4 watt-hours, so the external pack should last longer than my arm. I'm going to make it flat (about 3"x4"x1/2") and put a nice mark-free rubber pad on the bottom. The pack will serve as a base to set the PDA on so that I don't scratch a piano finish. I'll also try to rig up some sort of attachment method so I can mount the pack directly onto the PDA cradle so that when I want to use the tuning pin mount, I can move the pack and PDA as one unit. The pack will also have an LED voltage monitor so that I can always be aware of how much juice I have. This pack should have way more than enough power for a very full day - hey, maybe I can even turn the screen brightness up! Maybe I can listen to some Black Sabbath and watch You-Tube videos while I tune!!!

I'll post my rig on the pianotech list in the next week or two after I get it all together. Watch for it!

Terry Farrell