Yamaha pedal pivot

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 21:47:21 MDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Mark Dierauf <pianotech at nhpianos.com>
wrote:

> I just serviced a 20 year old Yamaha C7 where the sustain pedal was
> clicking badly whenever my foot touched it. I've encountered this before and
> had discovered that the nylon pivot pin bushings can be the cause of this
> symptom, but in this case the bushings were fine. The hole in the pedal
> itself was badly worn (hour-glassed) and the pin quite loose. Has anyone
> ever seen this before? My first thought was to just replace the pedals, but
> I was wondering about maybe epoxying the pin in place. Any thoughts?
>
> - Mark Dierauf

I had the same problem on a C7 last fall but the fix was much simpler once I
discovered the problem. The guide pin in the dowel that passes through the
keybed and lifts the damper tray, was loose in the dowel, had ridden up in
the hole and was clicking on the aluminum damper tray, the underside of
the top of it. I removed the dowel, then the pin, put in a drop of thick CA
and inserted it all the way down in the hole, re-installed it and no more
click!

Mike

--
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that
will allow a solution.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404