[pianotech] Fractured Keystick

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 07:26:44 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 4:11 PM, <wimblees at aol.com> wrote:

> That's the way I would do it.
>
> Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
> Piano Tuner/Technician
> Mililani, Oahu, HI
> 808-349-2943
> Author of:
> The Business of Piano Tuning
> available from Potter Press
> www.pianotuning.com

Another option that I have used successfully for several years is to glue
the fracture then "clamp" it using clear box tape, the kind you would use to
seal a package for shipping via UPS.

Wrap about a 6" long piece of the tape tightly around the fractured area
until it is secure and the key is rigid again. Using a craft knife cut the
tape away from the balance hole and the bushing hole and you have an instant
and permanant clamp and a usable key with no downtime for the piano or
return time for you to pick your clamp and install the key.

In most cases a double or triple layer of the tape will fit between the
keys.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404