[pianotech] Glassing the block

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sun Dec 7 16:56:39 PST 2008

>  At what stage are you guys doing this?

First, with the plate upside-down, dry-fit the block and plate
flange, getting a good marking all along

Second, turn the plate over, clamp the block in place.

Third, drill all screw holes and install screws.

Forth, remove block, epoxy the flange-fitted edge and clamp back in place,
(chalk rub on flange for mold release) and install about a third of the screws.
MarineTex Epoxy Paste (incredible compression strength)

Fifth, center punch tuning pin holes,
Drill thru plate index holes into new block which locates
block-to-case template.

Sixth, after epoxy cures, remove block, locate end templates at index holes
and scribe the ends and connect the lines across the front.

I set the screws before epoxying because one time I clamped and epoxyed
and then drilled the screw holes and wasn't quite tight with the
flange fit (argh)
and had to reapply epoxy. So now I make sure I know where the block
is going to be.
--

Regards,

Jon Page