[pianotech] Worlds prettiest upright ?-1878 Weber

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Dec 7 20:02:15 PST 2008

Listerers
? Every now & then we all have the opportunity to work a very special piano. I guess it was my turn.
? ?I recently worked on an 1878 Weber Upright. It is stunning & I thought I'd post a few pics.
??? This piano lived in a Victorian mansion in Fresno, Ca?until about 20 years ago. It was strung and sold at that time. ?It's original finish is remarkable.?It's Ivory's slightly yellowed but thick & flawless.
? ?I chose to?install?Ronsen Bacon felt hammers for the acoustic invironment & what I thought it needed to optimize it tonally. Trix?refelted the dampers,keybushings,damper levers and butt felts. Basically tone improvement, noise reduction & playability issues. The hammers were simple shaped with the top 25 hammers tapered for weight. The tonal result was stunning. Power ,clarity without noise. Sometimes one gets lucky. I did no further voicing.
? The original tonal assessments sounded pretty iffy with the old hammers?as it has a relatively old school sound board design. so I wasn't sure it would turn out well.?It was such a rewarding job as the clients are friends I've known for over 30 years.
? Oddly when I went to reassemble it all in there house it was there 25 th ?wedding anniversary. Nov. 28. I left the piano apart over the next day, which was thanksgiving. When I returned they said.?We saw a date on the Action ( WNG) & it said Nov 28. 1878. SO cool. Cosmic coincidence. The tone was perfect. No further voicing was needed. It hardly ever happens that way.
?? A Happy trail
? Dale Erwin