[pianotech] Glassing the block (was Scary Experience)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Dec 8 07:20:03 PST 2008

> Do you just put the epoxy along the flange edge of the block?

Yes, just along the flange.

> Do you use a mold release or soap on the plate?

No. There's enough graphite left over from the fitting
process, and it could be taken apart at some later date even
if there weren't. I've pulled plates done by others and had to
chip and grind epoxy off the plate. They *will* come apart.

> I see one advantage in that any squeeze out goes down (paper on the
> keybed).
> Ed

My original thought was, why would I make what amounts to a
perfect fit between plate flange and block with epoxy, then
separate it?
Ron N