[pianotech] Soundboard spring

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 9 01:23:02 PST 2008

I heard of a similar technique. I will try to explain it for an upright, but I don´t know some of the propper terms because I still did not buy a nomenclature book. Sorry for that.

Imagine the backside of an upright. Behind the soundboard there are these massive wooden balks (Raste in German). Drill a whole in a balk and put in a long screw. The point of the screw should end at that area where the long bridge is, circa in the middle of the soundboard. Now take a coin and tighten the screw so that the coin is clamped between the screw point and the backside of the soundboard. It´s important that the coin is directly behind the bridge. Now tighten the screw so that the soundboard gets liftet a little bit. But be careful not to lift the soundboard away so that the glue joints are destroyed.

In German it´s called Pfennig-Stütze which means coin bearer or coin support. I was told that it might work but one should use it only as the last resort if there is nothing to loose. I never tried it nor do I personally know a colleague who did it. But if you try it I would be glad about a feedback.

Gregor