[pianotech] screw-y stuff

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Tue Dec 9 08:40:48 PST 2008

List,

With annual "Stripped Screw Hole Day" repidly approaching here at CalArts, I would appreciate recommendations for four different lid-related screw hole repairs on four different pianos.

Yamaha C7E: screw holes of female (rim-mounted) lid locator hardware (torn out by repeated collisions between lid and immovable object, such as wall)

Baldwin F: lid hinge screw holes; the many short ones on the lid itself (ditto above cause for damage)

Steinway B: stripped out lock-bar screw holes (don't know how this happened)

Steinway D: screw holes in the flyleaf and lid, for the screws that fasten the long "piano" hinge (due to over-tightening and/or handling)

I was planning on installing delignit plugs in the rim of the Yamaha and glue-sizing (possibly with some non-glue material added) for the others.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Alan Eder

The Herb Alpert School of Music